Defrosting the Samsung ice maker is a simple process and is not time-consuming at all. Before you call up a technician, read this article and maybe your problem will be solved easily in a couple of minutes.
You can always look up the manual that comes with the refrigerator but we are pretty sure that most of you may not even remember that there was such a manual.
Well, no worries because we have got your back. Keep reading to know how to defrost your Samsung ice maker and do not forget to check out the reasons why this happen and how you can prevent it.
Without further ado, let’s get straight into the topic and see how to fix your problems quickly.
How To Defrost Samsung Ice Maker?
Take these actions to defrost Samsung ice maker-
1. Press And Hold Refrigerator And Energy Saver Button
Firstly, look on the front panel of the refrigerator and see if you can find labels of the Refrigerator as well as the Energy Saver. Once you identify these two buttons, press them together and hold them for at least eight seconds.
2. Verify That Your Refrigerator In Test Mode
After pressing these buttons, you will notice that all of the lights on the front panel will go blank. If this happens, it means that the refrigerator is being transferred to test mode.
3. Press Any Button
Now, press any button on the panel, and you will be presented with the following choices: Manual Operation 1, Manual Operation 2, Manual defrost of fresh food compartments, Manual defrost of fresh food, and freezer compartments (FD), and lastly, cancel.
4. Choose Fd (Force Defrost) Option
From these options, choose the FD option which is known as Force Defrost. As soon as you will opt for the Force Defrost mode, you will hear a beeping sound.
Ensure that a beeping sound is made, otherwise, your refrigerator is not on test mode. This beeping sound will stop after five minutes which tells you that the defrosting process is completed.
5. Disconnect Your Refrigerator From Power Source
Repeat this process until you feel like the ice is defrosted. If you are assured that the refrigerator is thawed out then disconnect the refrigerator from the power. Since this will reset your refrigerator, the ice maker will start working perfectly again.
6. Clean And Dry Your Ice Maker
Before you connect the refrigerator to the power again, make sure that you dry the ice maker, clean it properly, and then place it back in the refrigerator. Keep in mind that the ice maker will be damaged if you remove it without defrosting it.
This is how you can force defrost your Samsung ice maker. However, there are many other methods to defrost an ice maker refrigerator.
Other Methods To Defrost Ice Makers
Here are a few more methods to force defrost ice makers-
- The very first step is to turn off the refrigerator. If you continue the process of defrosting while the refrigerator is turned on, it may lead to a further buildup of frost. Do not do anything that may damage your refrigerator or cause electrocution.
- You can simply leave the door open to let some warmth inside. If thick layers of ice have built upon the walls of the refrigerator and the ice maker then this step may take some time. The warm air will enable the ice inside to melt quickly and will fasten the process of defrosting.
- Next, clean the shelves properly and all the parts properly while defrosting the refrigerator. Once the refrigerator is defrosted, take out the ice maker and clean it too. Replace it with new components and put it back in there and see how it will start functioning perfectly.
- Using bowls of hot water is a great and commonly used method for defrosting the refrigerator. Place a bowl of hot water on each shelf of the refrigerator such that the steam is in contact with the walls. However, keep changing the water so it is effective as the ice can drop in the bowl or the water may get cold fast enough.
- Scraping is yet another common method that people opt for. You can use a plastic or a wooden spatula for cleaning the walls of the ice maker and the refrigerator. Do not use sharp objects for this purpose as it may end up damaging the parts of the refrigerator or worse, it could hurt you.
- Using a fan can help in quickly defrosting the refrigerator. Ensure that the doors of the refrigerator are wide open and you place the fan outside. Do not take it near or inside the refrigerator to avoid creating any troubles. A fan will make sure that the ice melts rapidly without taking much of your time.
- For times when the ice is thin, you can apply alcohol on a hot cloth and start rubbing it on the walls of the refrigerator. You will see how quickly these areas will be defrosted so this one is a sure-shot method.
- We have seen that many people use a dryer for defrosting purposes. However, we won’t recommend it as the technique is quite dangerous. It would be better to avoid this completely and opt for other techniques.
Why My Samsung Ice Maker Not Working?
Here are some reasons why the defrost function in your Samsung refrigerator may not be working. See if your problem lies in one of the following aspects and then take the necessary actions.
- One of the reasons may be that there is a defect in the main control board. If this is the case then it is possible that no voltage is being sent to the defrost system. A defect in the control board will lead to frost buildup in the refrigerator.
- If there is a defective defrost timer then it will not perform its usual duties. The defrost process won’t be turned on and again, there is going to be frost formation on the walls of the refrigerator.
- The temperature of the evaporator coils is directly responsible for the defrost thermostat. If this thermostat has defected then it will not melt the ice on the evaporator coil. Ensure that all the parts are working just fine.
Why Do Ice Makers Freezes?
Are you wondering why your refrigerator’s ice maker is frozen? If yes then here are some of the possible reasons to answer your questions.
- First of all, ensure that both the fill tube as well as the water supply line are intact. Since both of these elements supply water to the ice maker, there should be no defect in them. Moreover, for those who don’t know, a fill tube is a component attached separately to the water supply line.
- This fill tube comes from the back of the freezer and then goes straight to the ice maker. You need to remove the ice maker to see if the fill tube is frozen or blocked. If it is then thaw it by pouring some hot water on the fill tube. Remove the ice maker from the refrigerator, clean it out and then reconnect it.
- Are you aware that the water filters must be changed every 6 months? Even if it is working fine, you have to change it for proper hygiene and functionality. Check if the filters need a replacement and maybe that is the reason why your ice maker is not defrosting.
- Sometimes, the temperature of the freezer is too low. It is recommended that the temperature must be between zero to five degrees for efficient functioning. Try changing the temperature and move it up by one or two degrees. See if it changes anything, if yes then this was the reason for freezing up your ice maker.
- Lastly, the water inlet valve plays an important role too as it regulates the flow of water in the ice maker. If this inlet is defective, the ice tray will be overfilled. Also, this water inlet valve has a screen filter that does not let hard water pass through it to the ice maker. You can find this valve at the back of the refrigerator. If you are still not able to figure out the actual problem then it would be better to contact customer care or call a technician.
This was all about how you can defrost your Samsung ice maker. Opt for the methods that are safe and effective. Do not try hazardous things as it may cause some serious damage to the refrigerator and the ice maker. We hope this helped you in learning some new information about your ice maker.