In the scorching summers, your favorite frozen drinks help a lot. It keeps you hydrated and protects you from heatwaves. But, it’s impossible to prepare a summer drink in absence of ice cubes.
If you want a tasty margarita, cocktail, mocktail, frozen ice, cold coffee, etc. You need nugget ice for this. If you decided to buy the best undercounter nugget ice maker then this article is useful for you.
The under-counter nugget ice machines are costly, but it’s a one-time investment and you’ll have access to your favorite nugget ice anytime.
If you’re low on budget, you can buy an Opal nugget ice maker. It produces 24 pounds of nugget ice in 24 hours.
But, here we’re going to see the best undercounter nugget ice makers. I have done extensive research before making this list.
Best Undercounter Nugget Ice Maker
Here are the top 5 undercounter nugget ice machines-
- Ice-O-Matic GEMU090 Nugget Ice Maker – (Commercial Use)
- Scotsman CU50GA Nugget Ice Maker
- Manitowoc SM-50A Nugget Ice Maker – (Residential Use)
- EdgeStar IB250SSOD Undercounter Nugget Ice Machine
- EdgeStar IB250SS Nugget Ice Maker
Best Nugget Ice Maker Buying Guide
There are lots of things that you must consider before buying an under-counter nugget ice maker. We have listed a few important points that will help you in picking the right nugget ice maker for your need.
The first thing you should look for the product dimensions. It should fit the size where you have planned to install. Before placing the order, you should measure the cabinet space where you’re thinking to place it.
2. Ice Production Capacity
The prime reason to opt for an under-counter ice maker over a countertop nugget ice maker is the ice production capacity. If there is a high demand for ice, then one can not depend on countertop ice makers.
If you’re buying a nugget ice maker for commercial use then you should know your requirement. You must buy one which has a little larger production capacity than your demand for ice.
3. Ice Storage Capacity
Ice storage capacity is another aspect you must look at before buying an under-counter nugget ice maker. It comes with a built-in refrigerator that stops the ice cubes from melting. You must be sure that you have enough ice before organizing a party.
Else, you have to run to a store with an ice bag and your party will be ruined. I recommend you to get one that has at least 20 pounds of ice storage capacity.
4. Ice Making Speed
Ice production rate or ice-making speed is yet another thing you should check before buying a nugget ice maker. If the ice production rate is slow then it’s definitely of no use. You can not depend on such machines which are slow.
Normally, ice makers take 8-20 minutes to produce their first batch. From the next cycle, time reduces because all the machine parts are cold and working smoothly.
In short, you should pick the machine which produces ice faster without compromising the quality.
5. After-sale Service & Warranty
Every mechanical device causes some issue after a few months or years. It can not work lifelong. So, in that case, you should consider the brand value and their after-sale service.
There are many cheap brands that don’t entertain your issue after selling their product. So, you must ensure that the company provides service in your area. Also, they should have dedicated customer support team.
Always buy a product that comes with at least a 1-year warranty. So, that if there’s any manufacturing defect, you can replace the unit.
1. Ice-O-Matic GEMU090 Nugget Ice Maker
While doing my research, I found that the Ice-O-Matic GEMU090 nugget ice maker is the first choice for many. People had a great experience with this under-counter ice machine.
It’s suitable for those who require 85-90 pounds of nugget ice every day. It means, it’s sufficient for home, office, and small restaurants.
Dimensions: 22.62 x 14.87 x 33.37 inches Production Capacity: 85 pounds/day Storage Capacity: 22 pounds Production Rate: 8-12 minutes Warranty: 1-year
- It produces high-quality nugget ice.
- It’s made from stainless steel.
- It’s suitable for small spaces.
- The company provides good after-sale service.
- Due to the stainless steel body, it’s heavy.
2. Scotsman CU50GA Nugget Ice Maker
Scotsman CU50GA is a gravity drain air-cooled nugget ice maker. It produces 64 lbs of gourmet ice in 24 hours. If you’re looking for the best undercounter nugget ice maker for home use then this could be a good choice.
It has 26 lbs ice storage bin that ensures your party keeps going on. This ice maker has a water inlet sensor that detects the impurities and minerals and automatically runs cleaning cycles to give you a soft and crunchy odorless sonic ice.
Apart from that, this ice maker has a user-friendly control panel that notifies you when the water line chocked and cleaning is required.
Dimensions: 14.88 x 22 x 34.38 inches Production Capacity: 64 pounds/day Storage Capacity: 26 pounds Production Rate: 8-10 minutes Warranty: 1-year
- It’s a perfect under-counter gourmet ice maker for residential use.
- It has a user-friendly control panel that always keeps you inform about machine status, waterline chock, or cleaning required.
- The company is trustworthy and it has responsive customer support.
- It has a large storage bin of 26 pounds.
- If there’s high demand for ice (more than 65 pounds), this machine is not that suitable.
3. Manitowoc SM-50A Nugget Ice Maker
Not too large, not too small, this Manitowoc SM-50A is made for both residential as well as commercial use. It produces approximately 53 lbs of octagon-shaped gourmet ice.
In terms of cleaning, this ice maker has a unique cleaning and sanitization feature. It has easy to use control panel that provides automatic ice making and periodic cleaning and sanitization feature.
It also allows you to schedule the ice-making time. The machine has a filter replacement warning light that informs you- it’s time to change the water filtration system.
With stainless steel design, it provides high durability and hassle-free operation. The machine is air-cool hence there’s no issue of water splash on the floor.
Dimensions: 35 x 28 x 19.5 inches Production Capacity: 53 pounds/day Storage Capacity: 25 pounds Production Rate: 10-15 minutes Warranty: 1-year
- It’s a perfect gourmet ice maker for residential as well as small commercial purposes.
- The build quality is commendable.
- It produces 53 lbs of ice in 24 hours.
- It has 25 lbs ice storage bin with a refrigerator.
- The octagon-shaped ice is not that great.
4. EdgeStar IB250SSOD Undercounter Nugget Ice Machine
If you’re looking for an under-counter nugget ice maker for residential use then this ice maker is the right choice. This model from EdgeStar produces 25 pounds of soft and chewable nugget ice.
The crescent-shaped sonic ice doesn’t melt quickly and gives you a colder drinking experience for a long time. This ice maker doesn’t require a drain line.
This unit has an in-built freezer that keeps your ice frozen. If you want to surprise your guests with great taste then you should definitely go for this nugget ice maker.
Dimensions: 20.06 x 14.88 x 33.31 inches Production Capacity: 25 pounds/day Storage Capacity: 20 pounds Production Rate: 10-15 minutes Warranty: 1-year
- It’s a compact under-counter ice maker.
- It has a built-in freezer that keeps ice frozen.
- It produces crescent-shaped sonic ice.
- No drain line required.
- It has an efficient compressor.
- Not suitable for commercial use.
5. EdgeStar IB250SS Nugget Ice Maker
In case, you don’t have a high budget but you want an inexpensive under-counter nugget ice maker, then this is a perfect choice. If your daily need is up to 25 lbs nugget ice then you can go for this product.
The stainless-steel body gives it a sturdy look. You’ll get 20 lbs ice storage bin that is sufficient for a small to medium family. After buying this, anytime you’ve access to nugget ice and you can chill the summers with your favorite drinks.
The company has a dedicated customer support team that quickly resolves if any issue arrived.
Dimensions: 20.06 x 14.88 x 33.31 inches Production Capacity: 25 pounds/day Storage Capacity: 20 pounds Production Rate: 20-25 minutes Warranty: 1-year
- The design and fabrication are excellent.
- It has a large storage bin with a built-in freezer.
- It looks sleek and eye-catching under the kitchen cabinet.
- No water drainage is required.
- There is no light inside the storage bin.
- Installation is not that easy.
Enjoy the summers with soft and chewable nugget ice. We have reviewed the top 5 under-counter nugget ice makers for commercial as well as residential use. Look at the ice production capacity and storage capacity and order the right one for you.