Do you get annoyed with the water leakage from the refrigerator? Generally, the refrigerator ice maker is the source of water leakage. Here’s how you can fix the issue.
Water leakage from the refrigerator can be a severe problem. It can cause damage to other parts of the refrigerator too.
There are some water leakage problems you can fix on your own, but some severe damage requires expert technician help.
So, it is crucial to know the correct reason for the water leakage from the refrigerator. Let’s read about it and learn how you can fix the problem.
Table of Contents
Ice Maker Leaking Water: What Causes & How To Fix?
Here are a few common reasons which can cause water leakage problems in the refrigerator, which are as follows:
1. Inaccurate Tilting
Sometimes water leakage may happen when the fridge is tilted in an improper position. Improper tilting leads or tilting too close to the drain can cause the problem of water leakage from the refrigerator.
You can easily check by placing a spirit level on the fridge top at a 90-degree angle to check if the fridge is tilted or not.
How To Fix It?
If you observe that the fridge is tilted too close to the drainpipe, here are a few steps you can follow to correct it.
- Remove the kick plate or the grille from the bottom front and identify the two front legs of the refrigerator.
- You can use the crescent wrench to change the length of the legs. Now check the angle of the fridge again by placing the spirit if the angle gets to 90 degrees.
Also, keep in mind that the level of the fridge must be in the side-to-side direction. If the door level is not parallel to the spirit, you can adjust the back legs and shorten or increase the length to correct the tilting of the fridge.
2. Blocked Defrost Drain
Another common reason for the water leaking from the refrigerator is the block defrost drain. There is an opening at the bottom of the back wall, which allows humid air to leave the refrigerator; however, the drain pipe gets blocked or clogged with debris.
How To Fix It?
Sometimes, the fridge condenser coil gets clogged over time, so it starts dripping water; here, you can fix it by checking the problem.
- Check the defrost drain and remove the frozen food item. Check if the path is clogged. If it is clogged, then clean the pathway and check whether the problem is solved or not.
- If you can see that the water outlet is constantly filled with water, then empty the freeze, remove the cap from the defrost drain and throw the water out.
- You can also fill the turkey baster with lukewarm water and spurt it down. This helps to unfreeze the clogs present in the drain line. Once the clog is removed, you can plug the fridge back into the electricity supply and check if the leakage stopped or not.
- If there is no water coming out of the defrost, then chances are their clog is still present in the drain. Once again, unplug the fridge and pull the wall away from the refrigerator; check the drain line manually. Unclog the pipe with debris in the pipe with the help of the cleaner and bottle brush.
However, if you cannot locate the refrigerator parts, you can use the refrigerator’s user manual. If you don’t have the manual, you can get the manual online of the refrigerator from the website.
3. Damaged Draining Pan
The refrigerator leaks water droplets which are collected in the water pan provided under the refrigerator.
However, sometimes if the water leak from the pan is unusual, then chances are the drainage pan is cracked and has holes. This is another common reason for leaking water from the drainage pan.
How To Fix It?
Here is the way you can check this problem and follow the way to fix them.
- Remove the kick plate from the refrigerator bottom.
- Check the flat pan if there is a hole in it from where the water is leaking. If you observe the hole, take it out of the refrigerator and take it to the hardware store. You can easily purchase an identical pan which you can fix into the refrigerator.
- However, if you don’t want to have the new one, you can take it to the repair shop and fix the holes.
- This way, you will be able to prevent water leakage.
4. Frozen Water Supply Line
If you observe the water leaking from the refrigerator in the backward direction, then chances are there, the water supply line is clogged or might be frozen. You can check the problem this way and fix it.
Similar Guide– How to Defrost Samsung Ice Maker
How To Fix It?
Here are steps you can follow to fix the frozen water supply line:
- First, unplug the fridge and take the wall away from the refrigerator. Check the water supply line, which is usually made of transparent plastic material.
- If the supply pipe is blocked and frozen from the connection points, clean it properly. Once you are done with the cleaning, tighten them again with the help of a crescent wrench and check if water is dripping from the supply line.
- Ensure that the connections are tight and secure so that no water leakage will persist.
- However, if the pipe is cracked completely and not in the condition of repairing, then you can have the new water supply line and install it.
- If you don’t know how to install it and replace it, you can take a technician’s help to install the pipe.
When Should You Call for Professional Help?
This is obvious that we all are not professionals who can fix all the stuff on our own. Sometimes the refrigerator is damaged, and the water pipeline breaks, which we can’t fix on our own.
Here, you can ask for help from a professional to fix the issue. However, if the fridge is leaking cooling, then you can consult the professionals immediately.
Water leaking from the refrigerator is annoying, and if you don’t repair the issue on time, your fridge may also get damaged or you may need to replace the ice maker which costs approx $400 to $1200. These are some of the issues you can fix on your own. However, if there is any serious issue like gas leaking, damaged parts, and others, you can take technical help from the brand.