Suppose that you are in your RV, on a camping trip, the temperature gets hotter and your fridge runs out of ice cubes. In such a situation, to keep you hydrated and calm down your urge for a glass of ice-cold lemonade or a smoothie, an ice maker comes to your rescue.
And if your RV doesn’t have an inbuilt ice maker, then you can always get a portable ice maker. It will churn out ice cubes in just a few minutes, and will produce endless ice, no matter wherever you are!
The Perfect portable Ice Maker
These portable ice makers come with intelligent features and are small enough to keep on the countertops of your RV kitchen. They have a sturdy design and easy portability with their own tanks for water supply.
There are so many different types of ice makers available on Amazon to choose from. We have compiled a list of the 5 best portable ice makers for your RV.
The benefits of portable ice makers
An ice maker is one of those essential appliances that have changed the way many people make ice. Let’s now discuss the advantages to own an ice maker.
In this fast-moving world, no one has patience and wants to wait for your freezer to drop another load of ice. Or to head to a local convenience store to purchase ice. So with an ice maker, you won’t have to wait and can have ice anytime anywhere, at your convenience.
2. Ease of Use
Now there is no need for the old-fashioned method of filling ice trays with water and freezing them. Your ice maker will be always ready with a supply of ice for you, whenever you need it. Just pour water into the tank and turn it on. Ice will be ready in a few minutes.
3. Truly portable
A portable ice maker can be easily placed on a small limited countertop and can be plugged into your RV without any problem.
4. Makes quick ice
Most portable ice makers produce ice in less than 10 minutes. So no need to wait for the ice to freeze. Simply turn on your ice maker, pour in some water, and the ice is ready!
5. No drainage or waterline required
The portable ice maker does not require any waterline or drainage system. In fact, it reuses the excess melted ice water to make ice again.
5. Produces a variety of ice
Ice makers are capable of producing bullet-shaped clear restaurant-quality ice. Moreover, you can also choose the size of your ice cubes.
6. Produces a large amount of ice
An average ice maker produces about 26 to 35 pounds of ice in 24 hours. Also, these ice makers come with ice baskets that have good storage capacity and can hold about 2 to 3 pounds of ice at a time.
Best Portable Ice Makers For RV
Here we have listed all factors and features of our top 5 top picks of portable ice makers. Hopefully, it will help to build confidence and make the right decision to buy the best portable ice maker for your RV.
For a quick review of the ice makers, you can simply go through the highlighted features of the product.
- Igloo ICEB26RR Portable Electric Ice Maker
- COSTWAY Countertop Ice Maker
- hOmeLabs Chill Pill Countertop Ice Maker
- SOUKOO Countertop Ice Maker
- ULIT Lightweight Countertop Ice Maker
1. Igloo ICEB26RR Portable Electric Ice Maker
- No need for installation.
- Equipped with an easily removable ice bucket.
- Comes with LED illuminated control panel.
- Efficient compressor.
- Can make small or large cylinder-shaped ice cubes.
- Is loud while working.
This portable ice maker from Igloo is capable of producing 9 large ice cubes in just 7 minutes. That is up to 26 pounds in a day. This ice maker comes in a portable, convenient, and compact stainless steel body.
This igloo ice maker has a water tank capacity of 3 liters. The ice basket of the Igloo ice maker can store up to 2 pounds of ice at a time.
The control panel is illuminated with LED lights and is simple to understand. It keeps you informed that when to add water or when the ice basket is full. It also allows you to choose the size of the ice cubes. It comes with a transparent lid.
- Makes 9 ice cubes in just 7 minutes.
- Makes 26 pounds of ice in 24 hours.
- Comes with a removable ice basket.
- Transparent lid permits easy viewing of ice cube production.
- Attached handle eases transportation.
- Easy-to-understand control panel.
- Self-cleaning with its automatic 5-cycle cleaning function.
2. COSTWAY Countertop Ice Maker
- Easy to clean and easy to maintain.
- High-power efficient compressor.
- Makes less noise.
- Produces hollow bullet-shaped ice cubes.
- Noisy operation.
The Costway portable ice maker is one of the most affordable ice makers available on Amazon. Its portable and compact design makes it perfect for your RV.
It is capable of producing 9 round and smooth bullet-shaped ice cubes in about 6 to 13 minutes. In this way, this Costway ice maker can produce 26 pounds of ice cubes per day.
It is available in six different colors to choose from. It comes with an LED screen and a handy scoop. The smart and intelligent indicators will notify you when the ice bucket is full so that you can take out the ice cubes
The transparent lid of the Costway countertop ice maker allows you to monitor the ice production process. It makes hollow ice cubes that enable the ice to float on your drink, without affecting its taste.
- Makes 9 bullet-shaped ice cubes in about 6 to 13 minutes
- Comes with a corrosion-resistant condenser, R134a refrigerant, and a 2.2 l water tank.
- Equipped with modern indicators, it informs you about the ongoing ice making process
- Produces round and hollow bullet-shaped ice cubes, that don’t hurt your mouth.
- Made from food-grade materials.
3. hOmeLabs Chill Pill Countertop Ice Maker
- Superfast ice production.
- Small and compact in design.
- Slightly heavy machine.
With the innovative hOmeLabs Portable Ice Maker you can produce 26 pounds of ice cubes per day. It takes only 6-8 minutes to produce 5 pounds of ice cubes.
This ice maker comes with a very smart design, wherein the reservoir reuses the melted ice water to make even more ice. Moreover, it comes with automatic shut-off functions.
This chill pill countertop ice maker is very energy efficient. Due to its powerful compressor, it makes ice cubes quickly.
- Takes 6 to 8 minutes to produce 1.5 pounds of ice.
- Have a small viewing door to see the machine at work.
- Comes with a removable ice basket and a small ice scoop.
- Produces the cylindrical ice cubes, which don’t melt quickly.
4. SOUKOO Countertop Ice Maker
- Self-cleaning ice maker.
- Upgraded version of the compressor.
- One-touch operation.
- Quick ice production.
- Less impressive design.
The top upgraded version of the SOUKOO portable ice maker makes 9 pieces of ice cubes in just 5-8 minutes or 26.5 pounds of ice in 24 hours. It comes with a one-touch operation and self-cleaning function.
It produces smooth and round bullet-shaped small and large ice cubes, which don’t hurt the mouth. This ice maker has a transparent window that helps you to see directly through it.
- Compact design makes it easy to carry and operate.
- Makes 9 bullet-shaped ice cubes in just 5 to 8 minutes.
- Comes with a self-cleaning mode.
- Equipped with an ice scoop & an ice basket..
5. ULIT Lightweight Countertop Ice Maker
- No need for installation.
- Lightening speed ice-making.
- Easy to use.
- Self-cleaning mode.
- Quiet operations.
- Fragile plastic glass lid cover.
- Ice start melting due to poor insulation.
This advanced ULIT lightweight ice maker produces 26 pounds of ice in 24 hours and can produce one batch of bullet-shaped ice cubes in 8 minutes. This portable ice maker comes with a 1.5 l water tank.
This classic design ice maker comes with a cleaning control panel.
It is equipped with a powerful compressor and is based on a small footprint. The compact design of the ice maker makes it easy to store when not in use. Hence it is perfect for your RV!
It produces ice cubes with lightning speed which even your fridge ice maker can’t accomplish. We highly recommend this ULIT Lightweight Countertop Ice Maker for your RV for a life-changing ice experience.
- Makes 9 bullet-shaped ice cubes in just 9 minutes.
- Comes with an indicator light, which warns you once the ice is full or need more water.
- Have a big transparent view window, which helps in monitoring the ice-making process.
- Equipped with advanced infrared sensor technology.
- It produces bullet-shaped smooth ice cubes.
- Comes with a removable ice bucket and an extra ice scoop.
How To Take Care Of Your Countertop Ice Maker?
It is very important to take proper care of your ice maker. Our top tips are following:
- Use filtered water – Avoid using dirty or tap water. Always opt for drinkable filtered water.
- Clean the ice maker frequently – The ice maker gets dirty over time. So clean your ice maker frequently, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Don’t run the ice maker constantly – Don’t run your ice maker constantly, as it will shorten its life. Therefore, once the ice is made in the ice maker, remove it from the ice bucket and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long will it take to make ice in an ice maker?
It depends on the model of the ice maker. Generally, ice makers take 5 to 10 minutes to make ice.
What kind of water is best to use in a portable ice maker?
Always use water suitable for drinking. Also frequently change the water of the water tank to ensure cleanliness and hygiene levels.
Do portable ice makers need a water line?
No, there is no need for a water line for portable ice makers. You just need to pour water into the ice maker and turn it on, so that the process of making ice begins.
Does water quality affect my portable ice maker?
Yes. The quality of water you put in affects the time needed to make ice, the frequency of cleaning the ice maker, and the lifespan of the ice maker. Hard water usually results in mineral build-up in the ice maker.
So it requires proper cleaning more often. The ice maker sensor can detect the minerals present in the water. So, distill water also affect the performance of an ice maker.
How much ice an ice maker can produce?
The production capacity of an ice maker varies from model to model. Usually, most ice makers have the capacity to produce up to 26 pounds of ice each day. However, the production and storage capacity of the portable ice maker is smaller than that of the non-portable ice maker.
How often should I clean my ice maker?
You should clean the interiors of your ice maker frequently to maintain hygiene and cleanliness. Use mild cleaning agents like vinegar or lemon juice. Do not use dish soap, as it leaves residues in the ice maker.
Clean your ice maker when you notice the following:
1. Ice produced is smaller in size and appears cloudy
2. Ice is softer and melts faster
3. Ice gives off an odor
Can an ice maker be used as a freezer?
No. A portable ice maker can not be used as an alternative to your freezer. The resulting ice, if not removed, will begin to melt. This water goes back to the water tank of the ice maker and is reused to make another lot of ice.
How much energy do portable ice makers consume?
The amount of electricity consumed by the portable ice makers varies in different brands. However, most ice makers tend to be very energy-efficient
For all those who love to have chilled drinks on the go, hopefully, now will be able to choose the best ice maker for your RV. Before buying a perfect portable ice maker for your RV, make sure to check its overall performance and go with the best!